The Union Public Service Commission (UPSC)
is India's central recruiting agency. It is responsible for appointments to and examinations for All India services and group A & group B of Central services.
The agency's charter is granted by Part XIV of the Constitution of India, titled as Services Under the Union and the States. The commission is mandated by the Constitution for appointments to the services of the Union and All India Services. It is also required to be consulted by the Government in matters relating to the appointment, transfer, promotion and disciplinary matters. The commission reports directly to the President and can advice the Government through him. Although, such advice is not binding on the Government.
is amongst the few institutions which function with both autonomy and freedom, along with the country’s higher judiciary and lately the Election Commission. The commission is headquartered at Dholpur House, in New Delhi and functions though its own secretariat. Prof. David R. Syiemlieh is its current Chairman since 4 January 2017, and he will be retiring on 21 January 2018. He joined Union Public Service Commission
as a Member on 25 June 2012. Established on 1 October 1926 as Public Service Commission, it was later reconstituted as Federal Public Service Commission by the Government of India Act, 1935; only to be renamed as today's Union Public Service Commission after the independence.
The Commission conducts examinations on biannual/annual/biennial basis throughout India for appointment to various Civil/Defence services/posts. The notifications for these examinations are published in the Gazette of India and Employment News/Rozgar Samachar. A shorter version of notification is also published in major Indian newspapers including regional language newspapers. Copies of the notifications are also sent to all Employment Exchanges and Universities, etc
UPSC conducts following examinations:
The examinations conducted for Civil Services have a success rate of 0.1%–0.3%.
- Civil Services Examination (CSE)
- Engineering Services Examination (ESE)
- Combined Medical Services Examination (CMSE)
- Combined Defence Services Examination (CDSE)
- National Defence Academy Examination (NDA)
- Naval Academy Examination
- Special Class Railway Apprentice (SCRA)
- Indian Forest Service Examination
- Indian Economic Service Examination
- Indian Statistical Service Examination
- Combined Geo-scientist and Geologist Examination
- Central Armed Police Forces (Assistant Commandant) Examination (CAPF)
- Section Officers/Stenographers (Grade-B/Grade-I) Departmental Competitive Examination