What is the Integrated Air Defence Weapo
- What is the Integrated Air Defence Weapo
Feb 14, 2020
What is the Integrated Air Defence Weapon System (IADWS) being sold by US to India?
1. The US has approved the sale of an Integrated Air Defence Weapon System (IADWS) to India at an estimated cost of $1.9 billion.
2. The objective of the deal is to modernise India’s armed forces and to expand its existing air defence architecture to counter threats posed by air attacks.
3. IADWS will be used along with indigenous, Russian and Israeli systems to erect an ambitious multi-layered missile shield over the National Capital Territory (NCT) of Delhi against aerial threats.
4. In India, the innermost layer of protection will be through the NASAM-II.
5. The indigenous Akash defence missile systems, with a 25-km range, will form the layer over the NASAMS-II.
6. The next layer will be through highly automated and mobile S-400 systems.
7. Then will come the Barak-8 medium-range surface-to-air missile systems.
8. The outermost layer will be provided by the indigenous two-tier Ballistic Missile Defence (BMD) System.
9. It comes amidst the massive military modernisation by China which is also flexing its military muscles in the strategic Indo-Pacific region.
10. The Integrated Air Defence Weapon System (IADWS) is called the National Advanced Surface to Air Missile System (NASAMS-II).
11. It is an upgraded version of the NASAMS developed by the US firm Raytheon in partnership with Kongsberg Defence & Aerospace of Norway.
12. The IADWS system provides integrated air missile defence and is currently deployed around Washington, DC.
13. It includes launchers, targeting and guidance systems, advanced medium-range air-to-air missile (AMRAAM) and Stinger missiles, 3D Sentinel radars, fire-distribution centres and command-and-control units.
14. Stinger is a shoulder-fired Man-Portable Air Defense System (MANPADS) developed by the United States.
15. It is a fire-and-forget, lightweight (15kg) weapon with the reusable launcher.
16. Stinger missile is an extremely effective weapon for shooting down aircraft.