Q Why is it in News ?
- Recently, the Ministry of Panchayati Raj has released the new framework for implementation of the SVAMITVA Scheme.
- SVAMITVA stands for Survey of Villages and Mapping with Improvised Technology in Village Areas.
Q What is SVAMITVA Scheme ?
- It is a center sector scheme which was launched nationally on the occasion of National Panchayati Raj Day on 24th April 2021.
- It aims to provide an integrated property validation solution for rural India.
- Ministry of Panchayati Raj (MoPR) is the Nodal ministry for this scheme and Survey of India is a Technology Implementation Agency.
Q What are features if SVAMITVA Scheme ?
- The demarcation of rural inhabited areas would be done using Drone survey and CORS (Continuously Operating Reference Stations) Networks which provides mapping accuracy of 5 cms.
- This would provide the ‘record of rights’ to village household owners possessing houses in inhabited rural areas in villages.
- It will cover around 6.62 Lakh villages of the entire country during 2021-2025.
Q What are objectives of this Scheme ?
- To bring financial stability to the citizens in rural India by enabling them to use their property as a financial asset for taking loans and other financial benefits.
- Creation of accurate land records for rural planning.
- Determination of property tax.
- Creation of survey infrastructure and GIS (Geographic Information System) maps that can be leveraged by any department for their use.
- To support in preparation of better-quality Gram Panchayat Development Plan (GPDP) by making use of GIS maps.
- To reduce property related disputes and legal cases