Pradhan Mantri Sahaj Bijli Har Ghar Yojana –“Saubhagya” aims to ensure electrification of all willing households in the country in rural as well as urban areas. The beneficiaries for free electricity connections would be identified using Socio Economic and Caste Census (SECC) 2011 data. However, un-electrified households not covered under the SECC data would also be provided electricity connections under the scheme on payment of Rs. 500 which shall be recovered by DISCOMs in 10 instalments through electricity bill.
The scheme aims to achieve the following:
- Environmental upgradation by substitution of Kerosene for lighting purposes
- Improvement education services
- Better health services
- Enhanced connectivity through radio, television, mobiles, etc.
- Increased economic activities and jobs
- Improved quality of life especially for women
The Rural Electrification Corporation Limited (REC) will be the nodal agency for the operationalization of the scheme throughout the country.