Q Why is it in News?
Recently, Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) has announced that it will support eight joint research projects mooted by the Space Technology Cell (STC), IIT-Delhi.
- The ISRO has extended support to the projects under its RESPOND programme.
Q What is RESPOND Programme of ISRO?
- ISRO started the RESPOND (Research Sponsored) programme in the 1970s, with the objective of encouraging academia to participate and contribute in various Space related research activities.
- Under the Programme, ISRO provides financial support for conducting research and development activities related to Space Science, Space Technology and Space Applications in Academic Institutions in India.
Q What are aims of this programme?
- This is the flagship programme of ISRO to promote extramural research in emerging areas of Space at Academia.
- It looks to enhance the Academic base, generate human resources and infrastructure at the Academic Institutions to support the Space Programmes.
- India is on course to launch its first human spaceflight mission, Gaganyaan, where Indian astronauts will spend time to conduct space experiments. This ambitious mission will help the country prepare for future deep-space missions.
- RESPOND is also participating in the National Missions like IMPRINT (IMPacting Research INnovation and Technology) programme and Uchhatar Avishkar Yojana (UAY).
Q What is IMPRINT Programme?
- The scheme was released in 2015 by the Ministry of Human Resource Development (now Ministry of Education).
- It is a first-of-its-kind Pan-IIT and IISc joint initiative to address the major science and engineering challenges that India must address and champion to enable, empower and embolden the nation for inclusive growth and self-reliance.
- IMPRINT provides the overarching vision that guides research into areas that are predominantly socially relevant.
Q What is Uchhatar Avishkar Yojana?
- It was launched by the Ministry of Human Resource Development in 2015.
- It promotes innovation of a higher order that directly impacts the needs of the Industry and thereby improves the competitive edge of Indian manufacturing.