NTPC’s Biodiversity Policy
Jun 23, 2022
NTPC’s Biodiversity Policy
Q. Why in News?
A. Recently, National Thermal Power Corporation Limited (NTPC Ltd.) has issued a renewed Biodiversity Policy 2022 to establish a comprehensive vision and guiding principle for conservation, restoration, and enhancement of biodiversity.
- It is an integral part of NTPC’s Environmental Policy and its objectives are aligned with environmental and sustainability policies.
Q. What are the Objectives of the Policy?
- Support Professionals to achieve Biodiversity Target:
- The policy is designed to support all the professionals of the NTPC Group to help them contribute toward the achievement of the targets set in this field.
- NTPC has always been mindful about avoiding operations in areas with the highest biodiversity value and judiciously selecting project sites.
- Company's efforts will be further strengthened to ensure that biodiversity is not lost at any of its currently operating sites and that there is a net positive balance wherever possible.
- Mainstreaming the Concept of Biodiversity:
- The major aim is to mainstream the concept of biodiversity across NTPC’s value chain.
- It also aims to adopt a precautionary approach for sustainable management of biodiversity in all the decision-making processes to ensure the Earth's variety of life in and around the business units of NTPC.
- Addressing Local Threats:
- The policy also aims to adopt systematic consideration of local threats to biodiversity beyond the company’s business activities.
Q. What are the other Related Steps taken by NTPC?
- Raising Awareness:
- NTPC is raising awareness among local communities, employees, and its associates across the supply chain about biodiversity through project-specific and national level training in collaboration with experts.
- Through Collaboration:
- NTPC is also collaborating with local communities, organizations, regulatory agencies and research institutes of national/international repute in the field of biodiversity.
- Adhering to Legal Compliances:
- NTPC will be adhering to legal compliances with respect to biodiversity by complying with rules and regulations related to the environment, forest, wildlife, coastal zone, and green cover during planning and execution of its projects.
- Related Agreement Signed:
- NTPC has signed a five-year agreement with Andhra Pradesh Forest Department for conservation of Olive Ridley Turtles in the coastline of Andhra Pradesh.
Q. What is Biodiversity?
- It refers to the variety of living species on Earth, including plants, animals, bacteria, and fungi.
- While Earth’s biodiversity is so rich that many species have yet to be discovered, many species are being threatened with extinction due to human activities, putting the Earth’s magnificent biodiversity at risk.
- Biodiversity Hotspot: India is home to nearly 8% of global biodiversity on just 2.3% of global land area and contains sections of four of the 36 global biodiversity hotspots.
- Staggering Economic Value: While the precise economic value of all ecosystem services provided by biodiversity may not be known, estimates suggest that India’s forests alone may yield services worth more than a trillion rupees per year.
- Further, it can be imagined how much greater this value will be with grasslands, wetlands, freshwater, and marine can add.
- Protection From Natural Disasters: The varied ecosystems across land, rivers, and oceans, feed our people, enhance public health security, and shield us from environmental disasters.
- Spiritual Enrichment: Our biodiversity also serves as a perpetual source of spiritual enrichment, intimately linked to our physical and mental well-being.