News: The Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSME) has launched the Mission Solar Charkha in 2018-19 for implementation of 50 Solar Charkha Clusters across the country.
What is Solar Charkha Mission?
- The scheme envisages setting up of Solar Charkha Clusters which would mean a focal village and other surrounding villages in a radius of 8 to 10 kilometres. Further, such a cluster will have 200 to 2042 beneficiaries (spinners, weavers, stitches and other skilled artisans).
- Each spinner will be given two charkhas of 10 spindles each. On an average, it is considered that such cluster will have about 1000 charkhas. A cluster with full capacity will provide direct employment to 2042 artisans.
- The Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC) is implementing the programme.
What are the aims and objectives of Mission Solar Charkha?
The aims and objectives of Mission Solar Charkha are:-
- To ensure inclusive growth by generation of employment, especially for women and youth and sustainable development through solar charkha cluster in rural areas.
- To boost the rural economy and help in arresting migration from rural to urban areas.
- To leverage low-cost, innovative technologies and processes for substance.
Till date, 10 projects have been approved under Mission Solar Charkha. One Solar Charkha cluster has been identified in Andhra Pradesh. The scheme envisages generating direct employment to nearly one lakh persons.