India Energy Modeling Forum
Sep 07, 2020
India Energy Modeling Forum
Q. Why is this in news?
- In the joint working group meeting of the Sustainable Growth Pillar of the India-US partnership, an India Energy Modeling Forum was launched.
- The forum would include knowledge partners, data agencies and concerned government ministries.
- NITI Aayog will initially coordinate the activities of the forum and finalizing its governing structure.
- Sustainable Growth Pillar is an important pillar of India-US Strategic Energy Partnership co-chaired by NITI Aayog and United States Agency for International Development (USAID).
Q. What does the Forum aims to?
Forum basically aims to :
- Provide a platform to examine important energy and environmental related issues;
- Inform decision-making process to the Indian government;
- Improve cooperation between modelling teams, government, and knowledge partners, funders;
- Facilitate exchange of ideas, ensure production of high-quality studies;
- Identify knowledge gaps at different levels and across different areas;
- Build capacity of Indian institutions.
Q. What is Energy Modeling?
- Energy modeling or energy system modeling is the process of building computer models of energy systems in order to analyse them.
- There exists energy modelling forums in different parts of the World.
- Such models often employ scenario analysis to investigate different assumptions about the technical and economic conditions at play.
- Outputs may include the system feasibility, greenhouse gas emissions, cumulative financial costs, natural resource use, and energy efficiency of the system under investigation.
- Governments maintain national energy models for energy policy development.
Q. What are Energy Modelling Forums (EMF)?
- The Energy Modelling Forum (EMF) in USA was established in 1976 at Stanford University to connect leading modelling experts and decision makers from government, industry, universities, and other research organizations.
- The forum provides an unbiased platform to discuss the contemporary issues revolving around energy and environment.
Q. What are outcomes of the forum?
- Discussions on energy modelling in India and the world explored how energy modeling can play an important role in decision-making.
- The panellists laid focus on bridging the rural-urban divide and factoring in energy pressures from the informal economy within models.
- Deliberations included a spotlight on how the impact of the evolving character of India’s cities, industries and especially the transport sector should be included in the any India-centric models.
- The shift towards electric mobility, an increasing emphasis on mainstreaming of renewable energy options and overarching environmental concerns were also stated as key factors for determining India’s energy future.