Indo – Srilanka Relations
- Gotabaya visit: The newly elected Sri Lankan President Gotabaya Rajapaksa visited India from 28th-30th November 2019.
- Issues Discussed: Strengthening of trade ties, boosting maritime security, addressing concerns of the fishermen, fulfilling aspirations of Tamil community in Sri Lanka and to fight against terrorism.
- He extended an invitation to the Prime Minister of India to visit Sri Lanka at a mutually convenient time.
- Cooperationon counter-terrorism: India and Sri Lanka agreed to cooperate on counter-terrorism during talks between Prime Minister Narendra Modi and visiting President Gotabaya Rajapaksa.
- Line of Credit: As part of this common strategy, India announced a special Line of Credit of $50 million for strengthening Sri Lanka’s abilities to counter terror threats.
- This was in addition to the $400 million Line of Credit that India announced for infrastructure development in the island nation.
- India and Sri Lanka conduct joint Military ('Mitra Shakti') and Naval exercise (SLINEX).
- Chennai (India) -Jaffna (Sri Lanka) flight service has resumed after a gap of 41 years.